The staff and board of the Vancouver Poetry House invite you to the 2017 annual general meeting. The AGM agenda will include a review of the 2016 financial statements and program activities, board nominations, and the passing of a special resolution to change some of our bylaws in light of the new Societies Act.
When: Sunday July 23, 2017, 4:00 p.m.
Where: The Lore Krill Co-op, 65 Cordova Street West (Cordova and Abbott)
If you have any questions prior to the meeting, contact us at email@example.com.
The text of the special resolution to be passed at the AGM is as follows:
That the following alteration be made to PART 2 – MEMBERSHIP (new text in italics)
6 The amount of the annual membership dues is $5.00 and is subject to review at the annual general meeting of the society.
That the following passages be added to PART 2 – MEMBERSHIP
10 As a member of the Vancouver Poetry House Society (VPH), an individual is deemed to agree to and abide by the following code of conduct:
(1) To revel in an environment in which freedom of speech, self-determination, and pursuit of creative excellence are inalienable rights.
(2) To participate in all VPH events, and those of the VPH programs, in a way that encourages, illuminates, and supports established standards of good sportsmanship.
(3) To refuse to allow the competitive challenge that may occur in some VPH events to lead to violence, interference, or direct threats.
(4) To allow all participants in VPH events to pursue their craft peacefully and without censure, regardless of present associations or past personal history.
(5) To comply with local, provincial and federal laws pertaining to individual civil rights and physical or sexual harassment.
(6) To abide by any competition rules at VPH events, as defined by Poetry Slam, Inc., Spoken Word Canada, and the Vancouver Poetry Slam, knowing that the consequences for breaking the rules exist and are upheld. Penalties will be determined by the severity of the infraction, and the ruling of the presiding emcee and, where applicable, the presiding protest committee.
(7) To abide by all VPH rules, regulations, procedures and policies, including this Code of Honour, knowing that consequences for breaking the rules/code exist and will be upheld.
(8) To accept that any penalties for breaking the VPH code of conduct will be determined by the severity of the infraction, and the ruling of:
(a) the emcee/bout manager/tournament or series director, or where applicable, the Executive Committee of the VPH Board of Directors and/or a committee delegated by them for such purpose, in the context of a slam tournament or other VPH event; or
(b) the Executive Committee of the VPH Board of Directors and/or a committee delegated by them for such purpose outside the context of a slam tournament or other VPH event.
(9) To be a fair poet, who in competition is fair and generous; one who in any connection has recourse to nothing illegitimate; a poet who in defeat demonstrates grace and in victory magnanimity.
(10) To be respectful of the boundaries of other individuals, regardless of their member status, at VPH events.
That the following alteration be made to PART 4 – PROCEEDINGS AT GENERAL MEETINGS
(b) all special business shall require a special resolution, and all special resolutions require two-thirds of the membership to vote yes. Voting may be by a show of hands or by ballot as the membership wishes.
That the following alteration be made to PART 6 – PROCEEDINGS OF DIRECTORS
37 A director who may be absent temporarily from British Columbia may send or deliver to the address of the society a waiver of notice, which may be by letter or email, of any meeting of the directors and may at any time withdraw the waiver, and until the waiver is withdrawn,
(a) a notice of meeting of directors is not required to be sent to that director, and
(b) any and all meetings of the directors of the society, notice of which has not been given to that director, if a quorum of the directors is present, are valid and effective.
That the following section, titled PART 14 – DOCUMENTS, be added
60 VPH will keep all required documents and records in compliance with the Society Act.
61 Members have access to society documents and records, excepting
(a) director’s meeting minutes,
(b) director’s resolutions, and
(c) accounting records.
Access to the above documentation may be granted, but must be approved by the board of directors.
62 To access society documents and records, members must submit a written request to the board with a minimum of two weeks notice.