We are hiring a Volunteer Coordinator
The position will be open until filled. We will review applications onJuly 6, 2021.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for generating and maintaining a body of volunteers for multiple events throughout the year. These include, but are not limited to, VanSlam, Verses and workshops. The roles volunteers take are varied and include, but are not limited to, venue captains, active listeners, time-keepers, door personnel and score-keepers. The Volunteer Coordinator’s responsibility is to meet with the various program leaders to determine program needs and situate and/or train volunteers as necessary.
This position reports to the General Manager and requires significant collaboration with the General Manager and the Artistic Director as well as Program Leaders. The scope of work will be set by the General Manager, but will not exceed the duties as outlined below. This is a one-year renewable contract position paying $800 a month for total compensation of $9,600. The time commitment is equivalent to one day a week.
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the program and the organization
- Working with the General Manager develop an intake and interview process for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the organization
- Recruit volunteers, train and support them as needed
- Work with the General Manager to develop goals, policies, forms and records for the volunteer program
- Communicate with volunteers through social media and email
- Maintain volunteer database, update as necessary
- Work with Active Listeners to ensure support and training as needed
- Track and distribute perks available to eligible volunteers
- Organize volunteer appreciation events
- Strong teamwork skills, creative problem solver, tenacity and a love of people
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized front-of-house communicator and presenter
- Knowledge of current trends, resources and information related to volunteerism
- Certification in Volunteer Management an asset
What to Send the Hiring Committee
Something that tells us you understand and meet the requirements for the position. It can be a resume, or it can be something else.
Email ONE pdf file titled “yourname.pdf” to firstname.lastname@example.org
References will be requested at the online interview.
What happens next
We will collect all applications and contact successful applicants to set up online interviews. We will review the applications on July 6.
Vancouver Poetry House Statement of Values
Participatory and Cooperative
Vancouver Poetry House is a member-driven organization. We work to reduce barriers to literary art so that we can ensure accessibility and full participation for the communities we serve. We value diversity and the array of knowledge that different life experiences bring.
Social Justice and Community
We value respectful dialogue, attempt to resolve conflict and misunderstandings in ways that respect each individual’s lived experience and act to build bridges of communication across misunderstandings. We nurture healthy, sustainable environments for the arts to thrive. We challenge systems of oppression through sharing the health-bringing arts to the wider community and by offering a place of solace and sharing to anyone who attends or takes part in our programs.
Professionalism in the Arts
We seek to develop and share myriad skills essential to living a sustainable life as an artist. VPH seeks to provide opportunities to build skills that help members fulfil their capacity for artistic development and career goals.
A sustainable literary arts community rooted in social justice where new creativity can grow from old forms