

January 10, 2020

Board Attendees:

Amanda Eagleson

Holden Wall

Leslie Stark

Max Sumner

Staff:

Colleen Brown

Laura Beatrice Covaza

Regrets:

Joseph Dandurand

Meeting Began: 14:05 (2 PM)

Meeting End: 15:51 (3:51PM)

Motions:

- Motion to approve the December Board Meeting minutes made by Amanda. Leslie seconded. Passes with Three votes. Holden abstains.

Action Items:

- Holden and Max to talk about possible board members. Started conversation. To continue and have for next meeting
- Letter to be drafted by the board in response to witness statement received. Amanda to start draft on Drive
- Holden to post (board) membership callout.

- Amanda to look back and see what else can be added to the Zac award file based on last year's conversations
- Leslie Stark to reach out to Brad and Johnny regarding suggestion (RC) for Zac award
- Board to come up with/provide alternative raffle (or) cips prize(s)
- Amanda to reach out to Joseph regarding the AD report

14:05 (2 pm): Meeting called to order

Agenda Item 1:

Holden/ Land Acknowledgement:

- Land Acknowledgement: *As we gather for this meeting physically dispersed and virtually constructed let us take a moment to reflect on the meaning of place, and in doing so recognize the various traditional lands on which we do our meeting today. We should, as Joseph says, try to be in good mind and good heart to do this work well. All of VPH's work takes place on musqueam squamish and tsleil-waututh land, please feel free to mention the traditional lands you are on for this meeting in the chat.*
- Compassion Acknowledgement: "For me, forgiveness and compassion are always linked: how do we hold people accountable for wrongdoing and yet at the same time remain in touch with their humanity enough to believe in their capacity to be transformed?--- bell hooks

Agenda Item 1

Approve Dec Meeting Minutes: Amanda motion to approve Leslie second passed (Holden abstain)

Update action items:

- Holden and Max to talk about possible board members. Started conversation. To continue and have for next meeting
- Letter to be drafted by the board in response to witness statement received. Amanda to start draft on Drive
- Holden to post (board) membership callout. Carryover to the next meeting.
- Amanda to put minutes on site. Completed.
- Amanda to reach out to student journalist. Completed

Motions From Basecamp:

- Dec 29, 2020: Motion to participate in a Diversity Workshop with the poet and musician Janice Lee. On a Saturday in January/February.
 - vote passes unanimously.

Agenda Item 2:

Financials. Colleen and Leslie have received from Laura. Laura asks if the budget is ready. So can input into Quickbooks with current numbers (vs. Budget)

Colleen: Asks about budget approval. The only difference is the \$18,000 funding added (making for a considerable reduction in the deficit)

Holden: Clarifies that the deficit was 30,000 but with 18,000 the deficit is now 12,000 (this is correct)

Amanda: Points out budget approved at last meeting there have just been financial changes since.

Max: Yes. This was already voted in with Colleen's reticence noted.

Laura: Asks about budget access. (This is on the vph budget google sheet: -link provided in chat). We will stick to that version and if during the year there's more than estimated the current column will reflect that (next to the budget number). (Laura's version is static) So we don't have to go back again and again with the budget, changes are reflected in columns.

Colleen: I will need the live doc. But basically, Laura will take a snapshot, as I still keep working somewhere.

Laura: Brings up; Class restructuring. For example, combining core and admin? Needs to know what to keep and what to eliminate.

Colleen: Operational for entire organization rather than separate for each program. This involves combining classes. So move ADMIN: into core (it doesn't "make money", cost on a percentage basis, grants into core budget, and fundraising collapses into Core. And education (WordCamp and play and Broadway youth...could be collapse into education or youth).

Amanda: Education makes sense

Leslie: Something more like Youth Education and Outreach (education can be for adults)

Colleen: Verses/Slam/Education (which we'll need to discuss/Core class. Checks in that summarized issue ok.

Laura: Confirms this

Colleen: We have a 3,000 surplus.

Agenda Item 3: Zac Award Process

Zac award process (last was 2019)

Colleen: I failed to write down what we decided last year

Leslie: RC is a good person to ask. There are two (one at Hullabaloo and one at Verses). He's presented a few times

Colleen: We need to add to the file so the staff knows the rules

Amanda: I believe we asked RC last year. I need to look and see what I can add but there is a back and forth with Johnny M on this.

Leslie: Some basic criteria were to: Inspire other poets. Youth outreach etc. I think RC is overdue for an award. That's where I'm coming from.

Holden: Agrees. As this is a memorial award. It makes sense to get in touch with people who knew Zac?

Colleen: Good idea. I have who won. And a scan of the memorial. I've added new articles and there's a link to poetry. So we do have some of that. Ask?--Amanda is to find whatever it was RC and Johnny had to say.

Johnny and Brad are deciding this--this year-- (but wanted to know who is supposed to)

Leslie: You and the AD generally are the ones who decide (with input)

Colleen: for this year it's Johnny and Brad. I will also approach RC.

Suggest RC to Johnny and Brad (if the board wants).

Leslie: Will take that on (Action Item)

Agenda Item 4: Image and Video Consent

Colleen: We have to ask parental permission if the participant is under 18. We keep going back over it because it's a pain but that is how it is. RC suggested we rely on consent from schools. Content not related to school so ask permission

Leslie: CBC music class challenge example. They don't explicitly need it (parents' consent) what they do is put it in the hands of the teachers that parental consent is obtained and have their work will be put on the CBC channel. Onus on teams rather than us

Colleen: This is how he's looking at it. But this is regarding the general Call out: for youth to submit. So not necessarily through a class or school for Hullabaloo. Maybe we are thinking differently than RC and you. This option was a result of us having 0 interest WordPlay this year's teams/teachers.

Leslie: Certain schools are always involved. Quite a few (consistent participants and teachers engaged more of a consistent following and leadership)

Colleen: If both? With the open option as well. So a kid in Yellowknife can enter (via video).

Max: Is video a requirement?

Colleen: For this, it is a requirement.

Max: So a notice; “ in order to participate this needs to be signed by your parent”.

Leslie: Is this being discussed with RC?

Colleen: Yes it’s part of the plan RC initiated. We can let teachers know how to help. His concern is it’s an extra step. For the student.

Leslie: And there are situations with kids where getting a parent’s signature (because of their home life) is a problem. I know for use legally it’s an issue but I understand RC’s concerns regarding barriers.

Col: Voices of Today has a different stance to consent essentially is that a young person can give consent (for example medical consent is lower...” informed consent”) I would like to take the “standard” road and if it turns out we want to take a different ethical position we can.

Leslie: And also, with schools parents opt out rather than in. And that makes things simpler.

Colleen: That doesn’t feel right

Holden: It’s easier for us. But I feel an active opt-in makes more sense.

Colleen: It is worth having a guardian thinking about this. When YouTube was wide open it was younger people who were targeted more.

Leslie: We will want to look into personal information and what we are allowed. Not just video but general information gathering.

Holden: We know how to broadcast? Because my thought competing students could say this is my school etc.

Colleen: These are *different*. Those types of things will happen in a Zoom space and that we can keep closed (and wouldn’t be recorded etc). The real concern is about collecting films for this, contest. Can be a closed youtube channel or see only at the event of Hullabaloo and so there’s less exposure.

Max: What are the rules for TikTok?

Leslie: Participation is tacit permission

Coll: For TikTok, the assumption is you’re 13 and you’re out in the world. We talked about a TikTok challenge. Unsure of the status of this.

Max: maybe all you need is permission on the website.

Options:

- Tiktok go for it

- Film Hullabaloo space space
- Send in Hullabaloo space. If you Win we need extra permission to post (into a larger space).

Max: With a disclaimer?

Lelie: Slams were always opt-in. We won't share unless asked.

Colleen: Again at a live event yes. But we are offering rewards for prerecorded materials. The idea is to build up their filmmaking chops. We've covered a lot here. More thought is needed on this.

Leslie: Notes; broadcasting video over zoom can be a disaster.

Colleen: Brad is on that, we're choosing a platform, for the festival <https://www.caffeine.tv/> or something else. Johnny wants clips to be prerecorded images. And we are looking at <https://topia.io/t/customize> sort of a "lobby" / avatar space.

Agenda Item 5: General Manager Report

Colleen: Frog Hollow Hamber \$2000 instead of \$5000 Ida (youtube panel filmmaker paired with Anjelica for workshops). Will support work towards hullabaloo. One other poet to add another workshop.

Limit list for the festival

We're discussing pooling of Artist fees as "talent" fees because we might need some money to pull this together. Example: communications person visual support for caffeine and Topia.

Amanda: Tech fees?

Colleen: More design. Topia needed but also caffeine tv visual elements can be added. Also, we need to figure out how to hire for Slam.

Hiring slam. As part of the Pivot grant want; a communication assistant (to handle suggestions that may come out of a consultant internal: staff manuals etc). External: website simplification and public suggestions from a consultant.

Worksafe needs paying. (\$2000) external help liability insurance. It's something I just don't have the capacity for

Laura? Review engagement. Figure what needs to happen for payroll taxes. Specifically for Artistic Director and General Manager positions.

Laura: Moving from Contract to an employee?

Larua: [Ceridian](#) (recommended)

Colleen: In my opinion, we are coasting the line for our year-long employees. Legal exposure for not paying payroll/health/etc for one year renewable contract employees.

*some conversation around the slammaster/coordinator position and the need to adjust the hiring process.

Colleen: The version last time was not good

Holden: Agrees it was an awkward survivor-style hybrid

Leslie: It's always awful

Max: Then why is there a worry people want to keep it (why do people want to keep it?)

Leslie: It gives the community some power over that role.

Max: What about having the community put names forward?

Amanda: Colleen had brought that up as an alternative and it's a good idea.

*Max asks if anyone on the board has ever done that role (Holden has as interim)

Leslie: I wouldn't want to do it as an elected position. It feels like a gross high school popularity contest or something.

Max: We need to explain our reasons. When there is a change.

Some conversation about slammaster role. Colleen's comparison to a curator at a gallery. There could be Language in the contract : expectations are: two years no more than five.

Agenda Item 6: Board Meeting Scheduling

Due to Holden's library job request is to push back the start time of meetings

Max : 4 pm?

4pm is confirmed (with the understanding that Leslie may start making dinner at if it runs long)

Agenda Item 7: Writers Retreat Prize or Fundraising Raffle

Johnny wants something better prizewise. Torn on what to do with the retreat as there's the real possibility of making money in terms of fundraising.

Max: Would we generate \$500 in raffle money?

Leslie: Ideally yes.

Leslie: Used to be 1000 cash prize for cips

Colleen: Currently \$500 to cips winner so the retreat would be on top. The comparison is with Australia.. Whose list is really good.

Leslie: Feels like fundraising should be a priority because we don't have anything else. Could ask for two (retreats)?

Colleen: Either option provides exposure

Leslie: I can look for other writers' retreats...

Colleen: Is this ready for a vote?

Max: I would like some conversation regarding this.

Leslie: To research for other options? And come to the table with options? And it gives you time to communicate as well.

Colleen: Of course. Also regarding publication (which is another part of the prize we can offer). Thought of Geist but anyone else? (publications?) Broken Pencil/Malahat (brought up)

Action Item: Basecamp alternatives for a raffle/or verses prize

Agenda Item 8: Verses Colab Questions

Reach out to Joseph regarding the AD report.

Agenda Item 9: Workshop date (and time)?

January 23rd at 9 am. Will extend an invitation to staff.

Agenda Item 10: Auction Item

Holden to meet up with colleen to pick up items

15:51 Meeting Adjourned

