

Vancouver Poetry House

August 15th 2021 Meeting

Board attendees:

Amanda Eagleson

Holden Wall

Lisa Webster (arrives at 16:30)

Max Sumner

Guests/Staff:

Regrets:

Leslie Stark

Meeting Began: 16:05

Meeting End: 16:55

Motions:

- Motion to approve the July Minutes made by Max. Seconded by Amanda. Motion passes unanimously
- Max makes motion to adjourn. Amanda Seconds. Meeting adjourned with unanimous consensus.

Action Items:

- Joseph's contract
- Answer Colleen's questions: Amanda to follow up

Agenda Item 1:

Land Acknowledgement : *As we gather for this meeting physically dispersed and virtually constructed let us take a moment to reflect the meaning of place, and doing so recognise the various traditional lands on which we do our meeting today.* - Holden gave land acknowledgement

Compassion Acknowledgement: *Compassion is to look beyond your own pain, to see the pain of others.*— Yasmin Mogahed (Amanda gave Compassion Acknowledgement)

- Approved July Meeting Minutes.

Holden finds and corrects typo.

Max: Motion to approve the July Minutes.

Amanda: I second that motion

Motion passes unanimously,

Action Item Updates (these will carryover from July to September as they were not updated for the shortened post AGM August meeting)

Agenda Item 2

- Read in New Members (Done by Holden)
 - Vickie Seward
 - Vladimir Dimitrijevic
 - Gabriela Roca
 - Andrew Sutherland (renew)
 - Max Sumner (renew)

Agenda Item 3

AGM recap

Holden: The AGM went really well and smoothly

Max: That should be the standard. This is exactly what AGMs are like (for other organizations I'm apart of)

As Lisa will arrive later Board Moves forwarded with Colleen's questions from **Agenda Item 5**

- 1) Max: Regarding Colleen's questions (Agenda Item 5) I don't recall that from last year. The section on us being "\$1600 in the hole each month"(if we can't open in September).
Holden: That's wages (Volunteer and Slam Coordinator).

Max: But that says we are going into the negative, that makes it sounds like we are going into debt immediately.

Holden: No. What is meant there is it's \$1600 going out with no income coming in.

Amanda: I was wondering about this (maybe Holden will have a better idea) where are we in terms of gathering donations/gaining revenue with our virtual slams?

Holden: I haven't been to one in a while but it's minimal.

Amanda: I know we had looked into various methods for gaining revenue and Colleen had brought up that the Eventbrite method worked very well with Brandon Wint's workshop. And I was wondering about implementing something like that for slam. Where you do an eventbrite ticket for them and you can donate that way (and we can generate revenue).

I'm not keen if people are just starting up to shut down right away. I would like to leave the option open. That's my only thought on that.

Holden: I'm wondering if we've heard anything from Cafe Deux? I think with the way things are going I'm not thinking we could open in September anyway.

Some conversation about the nature of covid numbers with Holden pointing out that numbers in the interior are higher but the upward trend is consistent (with the rest of the province just being behind). As well as severity of cases.

Lisa arrives at 16:22 board moves forward in agenda to Item 4

Agenda Item 4

Round of Introductions

Max: I've been on the board for about a year (& just got voted in at the AGM). I work for a nonprofit that supports adults with developmental disabilities.

Holden: I'm currently president but that may change when we do our internal board elections. I've been with the board for about 2 and half years and I've been involved in VanSlam (in various capacities) since about 2015.

Amanda: I'm the board secretary I've been on board for, this is my third year, I've been going to VanSlam since about 2014. I found the community supportive when it was very needed so when there was the issue of complete board turnover a few years ago I felt the need to volunteer (at the resulting EGM). We are trying to be a bit less of a working board and more governance but August has been a busy month for me.

Lisa: Sekoh / Hello, I'm Lisa Webster My performing name is altogetherlisa i've been in slam world off and on for about 15 years. I'm a Mohawk, My mother is Delaware Mohawk my father Scottish. wingham ontario Leanne Simpson and Alice Monroe. I was the chair of poetry Gabriola for about 6 years. Inclusive of an open mic every thursday (for about 3-4 years). And I've been working with the Gabriola Arts council on there diversity and inclusion committee. This has resulted in interesting conversations. I've worked for the federal government for a number of years and think Slam Poetry is a great way to sort cleanse my soul. As someone with a child with disabilities I'm familiar with what Max is talking about. We've been working here (on Gabriola) on Workshops for family members (inclusive of poetry) expanding the artistic options of people with disabilities. This is a big passion.

Agenda Item 5

Continuation of conversation of Colleen's first question.

Lisa suggests a subscription option. If I could pay a subscription ('donation subscription') so you get \$100 upfront and person doesn't have to register multiple times (so you're a supporting slam member, for example). That's an idea (that would help me). Cause you could reach out to our membership.

The other thing we've done at Gabriola could be through the Canadian League of Poets (it's a different type of poets). They would perform and there would be a writing exercise. It keeps an audience up and because it's through the League you recoup costs somewhat. And it makes for a diverse audience (such as the Brandon Wint workshop).

Holden suggests throwing these ideas at the new Slam Coordinator.

Holden reads question out loud:

2. I would like to offer the Slam Coordinator the option of a venue for low capacity events for a limited number of events, one? One a month? One every two months? If we continue to not be able to host live slam at the Cafe.

This will sink VPH further into the hole. What are your thoughts? Could you write questions, suggestions or comments to this question for me please?

Amanda: I like that as a suggestion (a once a month thing)...but how to fund it? And where to do it?

Holden: I also like the once a month thing. The outdoor thing, could be alternative (realistically).

3. Please send me the email address of the Slam Coordinator so I can send them a contract.

Holden: I believe Trevana has been selected (asks if Joseph or Amanda will be sending those).

Amanda: Joseph will send the acceptance letter to Trevana once confirmed. I'll email the other candidates to let them know. And then I will email Colleen (I'll let her know what's going on).

Holden reads out updates from Colleen:

The incubator contracts are starting to go out this month. One to Ida one to Brad. Janice and Zoe possibly in September. I am trying to get a meeting with an entertainment lawyer to help with this process but am having difficulty finding anyone. Have also gone to the Artist's Legal Outreach.

Laura will move our books to the cloud so we are hopefully ok with having our books out of country. This will cost us between \$20-40 per month depending on if we move to having employees and doing payroll.

Max: Where is the server located? This could affect access. But for us it might be minimal?

Discussion on why Laura has had to leave the country.

Next (last) updates from Colleen:

Next month will be hiring teaching poets and more incubator contracts along with whatever Joseph needs me to do for Talking Stick.

Max: What will happen with the other people interested in joining the board?

Holden: I've been in touch with Laura. Who is still interested but also did apply for one of our paid positions. She did want to wait until she knew if she got the paid position.

Amanda: I contacted Liz to make sure she was still interested. She is also very busy in August and was ok with me reaching out again in September.

Lisa asks about the incubator project in the chat.

Holden: Brad Morden made poetTV for Verses this past year it's a digital initiative.

Amanda: Brad picked all the artists (for the necessary grant) and they will be putting their projects online.

Holden: Asks Lisa how she's doing (on the Drive).

Lisa: I'm in a bit of a transition process. I'll reach out as questions come up.

Max makes motion to adjourn. Amanda Seconds. Meeting adjourned with unanimous consensus.

Meeting adjourned: 16:55