Author Topic: Safe Space Discussion  (Read 1416 times)

jessica

• View Profile
Safe Space Discussion
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:44:37 AM »
At the last Safe Space meeting it was suggested that we have an open discussion on  line about Safe Space. So, here it is!

This topic was discussed at a previous VanSlam Family meeting to read some of the back story please have a look at this blog : http://youandiaregoingtodie.blogspot.ca/

Son of Mallin

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Space Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
Thanks so much for the opportunity Jessica.  I'm sure we can put our disparate perspectives to good use here if we put our minds to it.  In the meantime, perhaps a writing prompt or two could help.  For instance, one agenda item left untouched at the meeting (for time constraints) was:
"How can the leaders within Van Slam/VPH make people feel safer? How can we conduct ourselves to make ourselves safer people for the community?"

Any initial thoughts?

sue

• View Profile
Re: Safe Space Discussion
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
Hi Kyle and Jessica, thank you for getting things started here. I hope that this forum will be one place where people can talk about their experiences, the issues, and what will work in our community to make things better.

As for Kyle's question: I have already seen our leaders doing things to make people feel safer. They are talking about issues of safe space in a thoughtful, intentional and open way, and encouraging participation in the discussion and in follow-up actions. I see people taking risks, being willing to make mistakes, being generous toward other people's point of view and firm about their own values. Everyone has the opportunity to be a leader in this process. I think that's a source of tremendous strength. It demands accountability from everyone, encourages compassion, allows for mistake-making and mind-changing. I encourage the leaders of Van Slam/VPH to keep going the way you are going. I will do what I can to help.